Sharp County is the Third Judicial District comprised of Lawrence, Randolph, Sharp, and Jackson Counties. The three judges rotate dates within the counties holding court in each county. Sharp County also houses court for the District (formerly Municipal) Judge.
The Quorum Court is the legislative body of Sharp County comprised of elected Justices of the Peace. They meet the second Monday of each month at 6:00 PM at the courthouse.
The Quorum Court has these duties:
- Levy of taxes in manner prescribed by law.
- Appropriate public funds for the expenses of the county in a manner prescribed by ordinance.
- Preserve the peace and order and secure freedom from dangerous or noxious activities; provided, however, that no act may be declared a felony.
- For any public purpose, contract, or join with another county, or with any political subdivision or with the United States.
- Create, consolidate, separate, revise, or abandon any elected office or offices except during the term thereof; provided, however, that a majority of those voting on the question at a general election have approved said action.
- Fix the number and compensation of deputies and county employees.
- Fix the compensation of each county officer with a minimum and maximum to be determined by law.
- Fill vacancies in elected county offices.
- Provide for any service or performance of any function relating to county affairs.
- Exercise other powers, not inconsistent with law, necessary for effective administration of authorized services and functions.