Sharp County, Arkansas

    Cave City

    Cave City City Hall | 120 East Spring Street | Cave City, AR 72521 | 870-283-5103

    Until 1994, when Cherokee Village incorporated, Cave City's 1,500 population made it the largest of Sharp County's towns. Established in 1880 as the town of Loyal, the town changed its name ten years later to the present Cave City.

    The town sits above the Crystal River. The river is accessible only through a cave located near the town's center. Source and destination of the river are unknown, but water levels rise and fall in synchronization with the Mississippi River, a distance of 150 miles away. The only inhabitants of the ice cold water, which seems to have no current, are eyeless fish. They appear to be 'suckers' that, after thousands of years of total darkness, have lost all indications of eyes.

    An annual weeklong town festival, every August, celebrates one of Cave City's finest products, "The Worlds Sweetest Watermelons." The melons are shipped throughout the south.

    City Contacts

    Name Position Email Phone Fax
    Ron Burge Mayor Email Ron Burge 870-283-5103
    Nathan Stephens Police Chief Email Nathan Stephens 870-283-5011

    City Demographics

    Population: 1946
    Square Miles: 2.59
    People Per Square Mile: 752.70